So, The Avengers (Os Vingadores) was finally released in the USA over the weekend and WOW! It’s now officially THE BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND of ALL TIME, setting many new records!!!! I can’t believe how good and entertaining the movie turned out to be and I’m so proud to have had the chance to be part of it. This was a massive effort, so I want to congratulate everybody out there who helped to bring this movie to the silver screens around the world. You all should be very proud.
There are many people I can thank right now, but I’ll just send a special shout to my friend and model supervisor Gio Nakpil, who was extremely generous, trusting me the fine detail of the Hulk and Banner Digital Double. Jason Smith and Jeff White for being such great VFX supervisors, great listeners and for trusting us so much. Steve Walton, for being a great teamplayer, taking my displacement maps to another level and painting beautiful maps to make the Hulk shine on the big screen. Last but not least, to Cyrus Jam, the lookdev artist who made the Hulk look as good as it looks, adding body hair, dealing with the displacement maps, SSS etc. The final result looks absolutely STUNNING. Thank you guys.
Here’s what I did on this one:
- Hulk – beautifully modeled by Gio Nakpil, I was in charge of all fine detail work, including detail transfer from actual scans to conform to both Ruffalo’s Digital Double and the Hulk model. I also created a vast ZBrush skin brush library that I later used to texture both characters’ full bodies, including pores, wrinkles, veins etc. I also did custom ZBrush work on the three biggest close-up shots involving the Hulk in this movie (custom displacement maps for custom facial expressions).
- Jumbo – I modeled the giant metal monster eels that bring the Aliens to Earth. I modeled all the hard surface and organic parts, did the ZBrush detail work on the organic parts and created the facial shapes. Aaron McBride designed Jumbo.
- Captain America Digital Double – I modeled the character and costumes, except for his shield. The new body topology created for him was done by Jung-Seung and myself and became the new basemesh standard, used as a starting point for all Digital Doubles. I also created a small library of hero facial expressions used during Captain’s action scenes.
- Loki, Thor and Hawkeye Digital Doubles – Lenny Lee and I were in charge of tweaking those characters to help getting a closer likeness at the end, by reworking their faces, costumes and/or body proportions.
- Footsoldiers (Aliens) – modeled by Patrick Gagne. I only created the base facial shape library, but I believe it wasn’t used that much at the end, since there are only a few shots that reveal their faces.
Gallery not found. Please check your settings.